Sunday, December 15, 2013

Elementary Kids Code

Last week was Computer Science week and The Hour of Code was a promoted event to raise awareness about computer science and coding.  I am not a coder, nor do I have any experience with code, but the website from Computer Science Week was filled with tutorials for all ages and devices.  I tried one myself before introducing it to students and I was excited to have them code in class.








The students had such a good time coding.  They were also practicing problem solving, thinking sequentially and collaboration.  They had two coding mentors join us virtually, Alex Soble and John Contreras, and were able to ask questions to a person who codes as part of their profession.  They found out about different languages, how coding is used to make apps for devices, but the most exciting answer was coding allows creativity, when you code you have the power to create anything you have imaged.  It was inspiring! They also worked with first graders to teach a younger student how to code on the same program they just completed.



Many wanted more time, want to continue to code and are interested in knowing more.  The website above is becoming more robust and I am hoping to find local resources to support computer science. Ira Socol, shared the CoderDojo movement to create coding communities to teach children about the science of computer coding, we are lucky enough to have local chapter in Chicago.

If you were interested in computer science week I recommend spending time learning and allow students to explore coding!  See the excitement in the videos below.



No comments:

Post a Comment